Thursday 18 October 2007

Birds in Bariloche are STOOPID

....a lot can happen in 17 hours, a damn lot. I could fly back to Ireland, have a really long sleep and get up eat breakfast and lunch, do 5 marathons or get a semi cama bus from Mendoza to Bariloche and in the process change season from Spring to a cold winter. The latter is what I chose to do with the promise of a few days rest at Jani´s sisters place. In a Golf and Country club. 30 km from the nearest town. On the shore of the alpine Lago Guttierrez. This is how the other half live. No more guarding my belongings madly in a hostel, no more wearing flip flops to the shower, because you can´t be sure enough if the cleaner got rid of all the sexual fluid from the night before. It was worth the journey to see the view, this place is a winter wonderland .............
......birds and animals in general I have always found to be a notch below us in the intellectual scheme of things. Take for instance the birds around Bariloche. Beautiful though they are they are not too clever. A complete flock managed to crash into the large window that overlooked the violent lake, stunning five of our feathered friends in the process so they just lay lopsided on the ground. Now compare this to me, while trying to scare a couple of dogs away from the jacuzzi (yeah you know it) I cracked my finger off a counter. I suspect its broke and bears a stupid person bruise on it. The dogs didn`t budge......
.....4 days of staring out at the lake, flanked on either side by steep mountains covered in snow, watching rabbits bounce ably away from pedigree dogs on holiday from the city. A certain calmness grows inside you. One which provides complete relaxation and an isolation which is beautiful and primitive. Rain and snow fell for two days solid and the land and lake took on a different complexion, one still of serenity and having the same calming effect. I did not want to be anywhere else........
when will I stop?

No comments: