Thursday 10 May 2007

Quito in Keitho

......I stared at my boarding pass. It read Elite Access. Some crappy name the airline has come up with for coach. But no, I boarded and I was seated in first class next to a couple of Asian business men. I tell you rich folk know how to travel in comfort. I was only on the plane for 90 minutes and got a meal and a fancy beer. Pure luxury.........
........leaving Panama, or US foetus Panama was easy. It´s modern and American. Flying to Quito filled me with a new sense of adventure. Going into the unknown once again, having to meet new people and all that nonsense. This city is immense. It spreads out into green valleys surrounding the old and new town. Huge peaks rise all around it with eyecatching landmarks everywhere. Some of which are eyesores. The city is guarded by a statue of Mary which towers above the old town. This part is colonial and colourful. The new town is akin to Temple Bar and Soho. Built for tourists. Thankfully it has cool bars with good music. No more raggaton........
........La Mitad Del Mundo, the middle of the earth, not to be mistaken with Middle Earth is a delightful tourist trap. After an inexpensive trip on surprisingly clean plastic buses we arrived 1 km past our intended target. The Equator. A sweating beast of a driver grunted in the direction we should go. Accompanied by Julian in tattered shorts I made my way back, coming across the real equator, as located by GPS. Which is 240metres away from the monument. A guide brought us around an interesting exhibit. I saw water go straight down a swally hole, I shot poison darts, I was tempted to eat the Equadorian delicacy of Guinea pig. It was entertaining. But I still had a mission to go into the fake Equator site as dictated by a Frenchman. (Incidently from his calculations the metric system came into being.) Along a dusty building site (th entire town is one big dusty site with breeze blocks guiding the way) we came across a science museum. The friendly scientist gave us a talk and informed us the native Mayans had exactly marked the point of the Equator 1000years previously. They built a fort on top of a mountain to prove it. Yet this is not the discovery that is celebrated. They had built their monument and they needed the revenue so a tacky museum accompanies you as you descend stairs and come out dodging cameras as people get photos taken with legs in both hemispheres. It was tacky, but it needed to be done.
Not really entertaining I know, but it´s info none the less, fecking ingrates.
Check out Fr Trendy.
What do you think of the delicious pun in the title?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi!! Leave reggaeton alone - it's good for an aul boogie now and then. Did you bring any of The Bug's stuff with you? That'd soon interest the locals! Dem bow!!

p.s. How are the locals planning to celebrate my 30th? Tell them i don't want them going overboard or anything. A few statues will suffice........

K said...

As far as I know Jasper in Latin America they do not celebrate the Great Feast Day of Jasper. Apparently they don{t think you are important enough.
I have no Bug stuff, but have been bitten by many bugs.
I´m off to do a Spanish course now.
After