Saturday 3 February 2007

Wa ha ka (oaxaca) Security Meltdown

.....walked down to the Zocalo(main sq) this morning to find an interesting site. About 1000 police and army had blocked it off and only let in foreigners and workers. Those knowledgable about recent troubles here (Jasper, Vinny, and Noleen,sorry Noirin) know that a strike lasted for six months here and was nasty. Today there is another strike and I´m hiding in an internet cafe looking out at sweating Mexican soldiers with giant riot shields. The protestors have been served.
Wahaka is not Fozzy Bears punch line but a nice if slightly boring colonial town. Lots of mariachis and samba dancing and history. Which brings me to museums and art galleries. At home we have them in other languages,( I think) why cant they here. (sound very English of me, or American, apologies). The sun just won´t relent and is doing damage to me, also the wildlife is against me, in one day 3 birds shit on me and I was stung by an indeterminate insect. Bring on the malaria.
....hola, I´m homar from mexico city, djou wanna go dancing.
....no, gracias, homar I´m how you say straight. Keep to your side of the dorm.
And this is how I make new friends.
I leave for San Cristobal de las Casas tonight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's cool, as long as it's only gay men that are coming on to you!!
Joan xx

Anonymous said...

I wont show Ma this one.

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely showing your Ma this one!

Unknown said...

keith, just so you know...joan keeps on coming onto gay men. and so is lena. i think it's a bonner thing.

keep those sideburns trimmed. colm