Sunday 1 April 2007

Cockroaches, Micro Breweries and a Dangerous City.

....everywhere, on the walls, in my bed, in my toiletry bag, under my pillow, in my shoes, jumping from the ceiling, hiding in the toilet pot and leaping, fangs showing directly into my face. Large reddish brown cockroaches who I shared my room with on Utila, I miss those guys.......
......."SanPedro Sula is a functional city. It has a high crime rate with some of the most dangerous gangs in Central America. In the first two months of this year 400 people have been murdered."Normally I would just ignore this kind of information, because it generally does not affect me. But on this occasion I have to say. Don`t go there. After an eventful busride with a Spanish marine biologist I stepped out into this shithole. The hotel was housed in a grim concrete block surrounded by half finished buildings all becoming ruins quickly. Inside the hotel someone had chosen grey as the primary colour. It is everywhere, on the walls, the floors and the curtains. As I walked into the room I noticed a cell like quality, but no cockroaches. Everything that could be stolen, curtains, pillow cases, wardrobes all had a prison style print on the side of them. SAN JOSE HOTEL. At reception I asked how safe it was. "Don`t go out at all after 10.30." Then I noticed the hole a bullet made in the front door. I returned to my room and read a book.............
..............D and D brewery is a little mecca tucked away in the countryside. It is surrounded by rolling hills and quaint villages. Not many travellers come here. If fact, not many travellers venture into Honduras proper. They stay in Copan or the Bay Islands. This probably explains peoples reactions to two pink skinned individuals climbing on a chicken bus. At first they all stare. Everyone. Then they laugh. Then some child will approach and ask your name and where you are from. This opens the gates to multiple questions from all and an odd curiosity with what is in your bag and pockets. The children are obsessed with getting their photos taken and crowd around as soon as you sit down. Kind of makes me feel special..........
After

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Smite the cucaracha, dodge the bullets and flee the terrible vibrations.

Peace