Monday 9 July 2007

A Legend,EarthQuakes! and Randy Nuns in the White City

........a rich nun came to Arequipa from Spain along with a carefully selected group of lower ranking nuns from wealthy families. They proceeded to build up the beautiful convent of Santa Catalina. A town within the city. White brick painted over with ocre, red, yellow and sky blue. As I walked through this convent I could almost taste the colours. Then the hedonistic lifestyle of the nuns was explained to me by a bearded old man. The nuns each had many servants and were not afraid to throw a party or two each week. In such decadent parties homosexuality was reported aswell as the taking of copius amounts of opiates. This continued unabashed for 400 years until a strict Dominican nun arrived and washed their collective mouth out with holy water. She then proceeded to close the order to the outside world for the next 100 years.....dirty nuns...etc
.........I sat alone in the TV room recovering from a particularly intense couple of days involving 3 nightclubs, one bottle of rum, a changing of a hostel, a lot of free Pisco (local shot with after effect of Tequila, ie. it gets you drunk) 3 games of giant jenga, a conversation with a legend(see below) and explosive indigestion. I was straining to keep my peepers open as the credits rolled on a non descript film. I reached forward to suck down some water from my glass when the chair jumped beneath me. I woke instantly and glared as all the glasses shimmied on the mantel piece and realised with some distress the earth was shaking. Cool I thought as I wobbled to bed and gazed out momentarily at the 3 volcanoes creeping up behind the city........
.........she sat at a table, eyes locked in an eternal struggle with sleep. I jumped into the hammock beside her. "Still drinking are ya?" She slurred something beautiful from her mouth, not a word but a sound. Her lips moved, I stared and caught "40 hours" from in between hic-cups, belches and burps. I knew this already. I had been out the night before with this slim waif like woman. Her frame could fit behind a lamppost comfortably. She smilled while drunkenly sticking her fingers up at me. She stood and walked around a swimming pool to prove her sobriety. She seemed ok while walking, it was when she talked that trouble started. I walked away and came back 4 hours later. She was still there. All swagger and wobble. The girl is a legend, the girl is a stereotype, the girl is Irish, the girl will remain un-named....
Adios mi amigos. Estoy en Arequipa ahora y estudio Español por dos semanas aci. Depues Voy a salir a Cuzco.

No comments: