Friday 27 July 2007

Notes From The Navel Of the World

....Cuzco´s early morning air banjaxed my breathing as a lack of oxygen drove me demented for a time. I resolved the best thing to do was take a walk and forget about my freaky breathing. And as I passed down the cobbled slender Calle Recoleta I heard distant gunfire. I followed the gunfire as any curious backpacker would and came to the grand Plaza De Armas.(Yes there is one in every town here) The plaza was full to the brim with marhing army bands and strangely enough marching teachers(not protesting, celebrating). The cause of the celebration is Peru´s national day. I gazed as the various groups (including Quechuas being flailed by mock Spanish conquistadores) and cantankerous horses marched in the most bizarre fashion. Almost as if John Cleese´s Ministry For Funny Walks was involved. Then I noticed much to my delight that the participants had been clothed by the same supply chain used by The Village People. It is quite a wonderful site........
....Pan pipes apparently can be cool. I was entertained by Cuzcos answer to the Pogues, with less drink of course. The kids loved it........
..Ollantaytambo is a mammoth tomb in the Sacred Valley which skirts around Cuzco. As I approached terraces rose up in front of me and the bus struggled up a steep incline. The bus wound its way through the ancient Quechua settlement resting directly in front of the Great tomb. I gazed upwards and struggled in the altitude to reach the top. Great grey stone adorned the top in a tribute to the stars, the sun and the moon. A craggy face watched from the opposing mountain. A revered God in these parts. More settlements were cut into the side of this mountain and seemed impossible to reach. Ollantaytambo was constructed in the shape of a llama. It is still obvious today. Cuzco was designed in the shape of a Puma and on Monday I will see the wonder that is Macchu Picchu, designed in the shape of a condor. If it is as impressive as Ollantaytambo I will be lucky........
Cuzco´s nuts at night, and cold, and mostly nuts.

No comments: