Wednesday 22 August 2007

Dinosaurs, Divils and a Friendly Clown

.......Sucre is surrounded by brown Andean peaks forced over the millenia to contort by massive faultlines in the earths crust. And this is how over 5000 dinosuar tracks have been discovered there. They seem to walk up a cliff face to nowhere in particular. Some are as big as cars. My guide explained everything. Then we turned our attention to huge real size models of the dinosaurs. Everything from the specific era. Then he noted some flaws. One, we do not know what colour the dinosaurs were really. Two, Not sure what they ate and three, the huge models of the TREX are only there because he is the most famous dino of the lot. A bit pointless really.......
...Sucre has burst into civil disobedience since I left. The day I arrived in Potosi students had strapped themselves to public buildings and it deteriorated into rioting. This has spread to the congress in La Paz where open fist fights are taking place. It sure is interesting being in an unstable region.......
.....Moro, the Argentine clown approached me as I sat on a bench in Sucre. He seemed very Friendly and gave me some sweets.........
.....This morning I met with the devil. An interesting fellow who occupies a dark mine in the Cerro Rico mountain which towers over Potosi. I found him to be quite an interesting fellow. His believers who you must bribe with cigarettes, coco leaves, dynamite and 96% alcohol(all for the low price of 2 yo´s´[thats for a stick of dynamite people]) grunted at me as I passed in my blue jump suit and wellies. These miners believe in him because they think God cannot penetrate the mountain so they feel the need to appease the devil or TIO as they call him. It means uncle. So they offer him coco, smokes, alcohol and sit with him. I found it pleasant enough, the sulphur and altitude did not affect my breathing, the small crawl spaces not too demanding. Although his giant manhood hanging out of his frock did cause me some concern..............
Alright.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So... you're not dead, blown up by a dynamite... hummmm ¡Qué malo!

SO I guess that we gonna see each other an other time in Buenos Aires... shit. But this time, we gonna have some allies from a place you knows and it's not from my bowels!