Thursday 16 August 2007

Idda Jungle, idda idda jungle

.......a small twin engine plane carried me through not over the Andes to Rurrenabeque. It was a bumpy ride in a small aircraft designed for not more than 20 people. The landing consisted of skirting the jungle canopy to land on a dirt runway. I was away from the oxygen deprived La Paz and into the lucious green heat of the jungle, fully equiped with proper air, stuff I could breathe without panting. And then the adventure began.......
,.........A short discussion with a random Australian informed me of an unexpected presence on the trip. A young lady in my tour group was in fact a celebrity from the land down under. A childrens writer and the host of Big Brother. Luckily I used my experience of celebrity handling and put into practice what I normally do. I completely ignored the fact. She turned out to be very pleasant. And after making all the groups acquaintance I clamboured aboard a canoe and set about mosquito infested waters. In short my experience of the Pampas was amazing. Wildlife everywhere. Capybarras, giant rodents, dolphins, alligators, monkeys which are surprisingly lighter than pigeons and the scary anaconda. I held one in disdain in the swamp and poked him with a stick. He wasnt so tough. The hostel resembled Marlon Brandos hideout in Apocalypse Now. A bar in the jungle hours from civilisation. Surrounded by alligators and monkeys. 40 people stayed there, sweating and dusty, yet there was only one shower. With LOW PRESSURE. Shocking but expected............Then the sun went down........and a snorer kept me awake.......for 2 nights...........in the jungle................until I got back to Rurre and did.........................this...
...Cocktails lots of them. They were pleasant and then I met interesting person#256 of the trip, Arthur. A lunatic from Belfast hell bent on chewing coco leaves from dusk till dawn. And he did. And he shared. And they were good for about 3 minutes then I was just drunk again. But able to drink all night, until the sun came up.
A Profile of Arthur .
Read the SAS survival guidebook.
Constantly chewed coco leaves and took valium because he couldn't sleep at night.
Tried acclimatising by wearing a fleece, thermal socks and heavy trousers in 30 degree heat. I noticed the locals did not need to.
Sweated profusely while drinking and rambled endlessly.
A nice guy.

BACK In LAPAZ.
Congrats Dan and Sonia.

No comments: